- You can make this with any citrus.
- The key is using the best and freshest citrus possible.
- Fruit that has been in storage a long time gives a muddy taste to the drink.
- 12 Meyer lemons, or a mixture of lemons and limes, peel only, no pith
- 3 sprigs lavender, optional but lovely
- 2 liters light rum or vodka
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- Put the lemon peels, lavender, if using, and rum or vodka in a container and let stand for 4 weeks.
- Strain the mixture into a decanter.
- Mix the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Let cool before adding to the rum mixture.
- Serve in small aperitif glasses.
- Store in the freezer for up to 1 year.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello